Visit Our Other Pages
COVID-19 INFORMATION: Our business is still operating in a COVID-secure way, and we are happy to accept instructions from existing and new clients. We are pleased to say that our office is now open to the general public, We offer appointments in person, by telephone, or by video call on Zoom/Microsoft Teams (video calls having proved a very popular and convenient alternative to traditional office-based appointments during the Covid-19 pandemic). Please do not attend the office if you, or a member of your household, have Covid-19 symptoms, or are testing positive.
You can contact us by telephone on 01229 828814, or by email (see the OUR TEAM page for direct email addresses for our solicitors, or use email@example.com for general queries).
CYBER FRAUD: WE HAVE NO PLANS TO ALTER OUR BANKING ARRANGEMENTS, AND OUR BANK DETAILS WILL NOT CHANGE DURING THE COURSE OF A TRANSACTION. If in doubt, please call us on the telephone number you regularly use for this firm, or attend the office in person.
Tracy Lister – Office Manager and Cashier
• Joined the firm in 1989
• Office Manager since 2008
Tracy is our longest serving staff member.
She also acted as a probate assistant for many years and occasionally still assists with the preparation of estate accounts. Tracy now manages the office and recruitment.
Claire Ward – Head Conveyancing Assistant
• Joined the firm in 1999
Claire has extensive knowledge of the conveyancing procedure and provides support to Paul O’Donnell.
Dawn Hampton – Deputy Cashier & Legal Assistant
• Joined the firm in 2016
Dawn provides valuable fee-earner support, as well as assisting the Office Manager
Robyn Holden – Paralegal
• Joined the firm in 2017
Robyn is Matt Viner’s assistant and has considerable experience of conveyancing and litigation procedures. Robyn is presently in the process of obtaining her qualification with CILEx to become a Legal Executive.
Bethany Ross – Paralegal
• Joined the firm in 2019
Bethany is a law graduate who provides support to Deborah Yearnshire. Working in residential conveyancing and probate, she is in the process of obtaining her qualification with CILEx to become a Legal Executive.
Kate Gillies – Legal Assistant
• Joined the firm in 2021
Kate is a law graduate who provides support to the team with particular focus on the provision of legal services to Barrow Council and the creation of new build property estates. She is undertaking the Legal Practice Course with a view to qualifying as a solicitor.
Jacqueline Cooper – Archivist
• Joined the firm in 2003
Jacqueline has many years of experience providing support to family solicitors. She is now focusing on keeping our archives under control.
Shannon Linton – Legal Assistant
Shannon completed her Business Administration apprenticeship with the firm. She now provides support to Dylan Caldwell on family and residential conveyancing matters.
This could be you – Receptionist
We are presently looking for a receptionist to welcome clients and other callers. If you are a bright, well-organised and cheerful person, please take a look at our recruitment page.
Paul O’Donnell – Partner
• Joined the firm in 1998
• Qualified as a solicitor in 2000
• Head of Conveyancing
Born and bred in Barrow, Paul is proud of his ability to use his role at this firm to positively contribute to the area. He has a thriving property-based practice, dealing with a broad range of related issues including residential sales and purchases, commercial acquisitions, housing developments and disputes.
Paul is a legal advisor to Barrow Borough Council, routinely addressing a wide variety of issues, including constitutional matters, procurement, planning, enforcement and licensing. He is a member of the Institute of Licensing.
From 2013-2019 Paul sat part-time as Assistant Coroner, investigating deaths from across South Cumbria.
Dylan Caldwell – Solicitor
• Joined the firm in 2018
• Qualified as a solicitor in 2020
Graduated with a first-class law degree.
Dylan is our family solicitor and also deals with all types of residential and commercial matters.
A great communicator, Dylan has the ability to explain complex issues in a clear and concise manner. He enjoys a great rapport with clients and is known for his enthusiastic approach.
Matt Viner – Partner
• Joined the firm in 2012
• Qualified as a solicitor in 2013
• Head of Litigation
Matt leads on dispute resolution specialising in personal injury claims, housing disputes, debt collection, boundary issues and general litigation.
He also has extensive knowledge of the conveyancing process and is known for his meticulous approach. He deals with all aspects of residential and commercial property.
Matt’s combined litigation and conveyancing experience makes him the perfect choice to deal with property disputes.
Deborah Yearnshire – Partner
• Qualified as a solicitor in 2003
• Joined the firm in 2016
• Head of Private Client
Deborah has been practising in the local area for more than 18 years. She offers structured support, often when most needed, in a kind and sympathetic manner.
She has considerable experience in preparing Wills; advising on succession and Inheritance Tax planning and in the creation of Trusts. Deborah deals with preparing Lasting Powers of Attorney, obtaining Deputyship Orders from the Court of Protection and all aspects of Probate.
Deborah also deals with all aspects of residential conveyancing.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE CURRENTLY OPERATING A COVID-SECURE OFFICE, AND IN-OFFICE APPOINTMENTS ARE LIMITED TO THOSE THAT ARE STRICTLY NECESSARY. OTHER APPOINTMENTS ARE CONDUCTED BY ZOOM OR TELEPHONE. DOCUMENTATION AND I.D. CAN BE TAKEN AT THE DOOR.
Brown Barron Complaints Procedure
Our complaints handling policy
Brown Barron is committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. When something goes wrong, we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards.
Our complaints handling procedure
If you have a concern or a complaint, please contact us as soon as you are aware of the problem so this can be addressed.
What will happen next?
1. We will send you a letter acknowledging receipt of your complaint within five days of your raising your concerns, enclosing a copy of this procedure.
2. We will then investigate your complaint. This will normally involve passing your complaint to our client care partner, Paul O’Donnell, who will review your matter file and speak to the member of staff who acted for you. If Paul O’Donnell is the subject of your complaint, it will be dealt with by Deborah Yearnshire.
3. Paul O’Donnell will then invite you to a meeting to discuss and, it is hoped, resolve your complaint. He will do this within 14 days of sending you the acknowledgment letter.
4. Within three days of the meeting, Paul O’Donnell will write to you to confirm what took place and any solutions he has agreed with you.
5. If you do not want a meeting or it is not possible, Paul O’Donnell will send you a detailed written reply to your complaint, including his suggestions for resolving the matter, within 21 days of sending you the acknowledgement letter.
6. At this stage, if you are still not satisfied, you should contact us again to explain why you remain unhappy with our response and we will review your comments. Depending on the matter we may at this stage arrange for another partner to review the decision.
7. We will write to you within 14 days of receiving your request for a review, confirming our final position on your complaint and explaining our reasons.
8. If you are still not satisfied, you can then contact the Legal Ombudsman at PO Box 15870, Birmingham B30 9EB or call 0300 555 0333 about your complaint.
Any complaint to the Legal Ombudsman must usually be made within six months of your receiving a final written response from us regarding your complaint. The Legal Ombudsman has provided further guidance on its service at www.legalombudsman.org.uk
If we have to change any of the timescales above, we will let you know and explain why.